So you have decided to train for a race. Maybe the Iron Horse Half or maybe a shorter race. Running with others can provide accountability and encouragement. Especially when you are just beginning, it can be a challenge to meet potential running buddies.
Here are some places you can start if you are Lexington Local.
- Join John’s Striders on Facebook. This is a large group of local runners. You can find buddies at various paces and training for various distances. You can also connect with people based on where in town you like to run.
- Join the Iron Horse Half Marathon Training Group on Facebook. This group is created to provide support for those runners following the Iron Horse Half Marathon Virtual Training Plan.
- Mondays at John’s Run/Walk Shop in Palomar. A group meets at 6pm at our Palomar Shop. There are 3, 4, and 5 mile routes (and maps!) available.
- Tuesdays at West Sixth Run Club. The West Sixth Run/Walk Club officially takes off at 6:30pm, but runners take off and come back as early as 5:30 or so. Beginning in April, JRWS will have a water station set up in Gratz Park (about 2 miles into the 3 mile course). Stop by, say hi, and get hydrated.
- Thursdays at John’s Run/Walk Shop on South Ashland. JRWS Employee Amy is coordinating a training group for the Kentucky Derby Festival Mini. They meet on Thursday evenings at 6pm at our South Ashland Shop.
- Saturday Run Groups. There are a variety of running groups that meet on Saturday mornings. Click here for a list and links!
Keep an eye on our social media outlets for an announcement about a running buddy meet-and-greet coming soon!